Transforming Thyself with simple habits

00:41 rafi 0 Comments


(Source: Pinterest)

It's possible.

One sentence that's already summed up my life for the last 3 month.

I have started my reading habit in the middle of December 2017. I gave half of my Entertainment money buying 2 books at least, to be read during my holiday. One bucket-list was Elon Musk, recommended by my friend (that I met on International conference, been writing a lot, and her articles is really good in quality). Yups, in simple words, I trust her.

Why'd Elon Musk? Tbh, reading a lot about him on Quora, basically he's really genius, right? Since colleague, lots of my friends, that has Engineering background, really admired him a lot. Yups, that's enough made me interested for someone's life! Until .... my friend told me, this book is really about him, talking about his childhood, and his journey from 1 company to another.

"WHAT? His Childhood?! I am sold!" Told myself.

I am that person, who didn't really believe someone's born Genius. Oke, there might be 2% who really are. So? What next? Did they do something great? Is that really the only factor? I don't think so.

So yeah, whenever it comes to his biography, take me in! I want to know more! Take me right over there to his life! Haha

Doesn't mean it should start tomorrow. Act now! (Source: Pinterest)

1. Choice

 

Oke, things have been determined. These life should be changed. Thanks to Quora honestly, I read lots of insightful thought back then. Have life changing ones, that pushed me to do something good. Why'd reading? I forgot where I found this ya, but I have read about 10.000 rules. If you want to be really good at something, you need to have effort, at least 10.000 hours doing that thing.

"But ..... I want to learn anything! I want to be datascience, I want to be marketeers, I want to be executor, I want to be good at statistical, thinking logically, solving problem faster, etc. Should I gave 10.000 hours for this?"

The answer is yes and no. 10.000 hours might be the one, but we do have a choice, we do have shortcuts. One of them? Read as many as books you can, online learning, search expertise mentor, etc.

I chose reading books. The factor? Well, I'm going to be honest with you. Recently I found lots of inspiring people. Most of them Indonesian, and have done something really big both for country and their company. I'm speechless. I keep seeing them, observing them, "What makes them so extraordinary?". One of them? Really a nerd, a bookworm. Yups, even with a tight schedule, he read a lot.

Thats enough to convince me tho. Reading might be the answer. I should try this one.

I will focus on reading and online course. I separated my time for both of them. Trial and error, to know which one is better.

I went to Periplus. Simply because I want imported books, I don't like the translated one because I'm not really fans the standard language especially Bahasa. I got BC (2.5 out of 4 score) in my college, and always got not more than 80 when I was in Senior High School.

Oke, I take Elon Musk, and during the search found another one, I can't avoid this, it's just like, myself want me to buy this no matter what. My choice was for "High Performance Habits" by Brandon Burchard. And I bought it anyway.

Here it is. I am ready to change myself. Everything would begin here. Here we go!

Luv! Exactly what I thought. This is what you called as Commitment! (Source: everydaypowerblog.com)

2. Commit

 

What's next? The books been bought, should be read, workload remain the same. So? Scheduled your time! Yups, I read lots of habit article, especially for making our "New Year Resolution" not being "January Resolution" and stuff. Most article told me to write down everything. What's my goal? Write! How can I achieve it? Write! When should I do it? Write! Everything should be written, and committed. Simple. Everyday, I wrote my Most Important Things (MIT). And reading (with minimum pages) + online course (with minimum hours) would be my everyday MIT. Wrote it on my computer's sticky notes, so every time I close or open my laptop, I could see it and do it.

Oke. You know, whenever you have your "new" resolution, at first you'll have the energy to do so, right? How long it would stay that way? Well, actually it depends on your commitment. For me, I told myself to do so. If I am too lazy to read that day, haven't met my minimum goals, I told myself "If you can do it yesterday, why'd not today?". Take a breath, speak to yourself. Continue. And that's what you called commitment.

Source: Pinterest (etsy.com)

3. Applied

 

The longer I read, the longer I learn. Reading is simply mindblowing. Can't believe, someone could have that way of Life. Things that I was thinking "Insane" and made me giggling every single time I read that. Let's take a sample of Merry Riana's life, one of top Indonesian Motivator, that's converting herself from Engineer to be the Salesperson. Everyone thought she's insane tho, I mean, she had that B.Eng of Electrical Engineering, living on Singapore and got a job? That might be huge opportunities, right? And she changed that, she pushed herself a lot, targeting herself everyday and achieved what she's been targeted for the long term. Her sales to leadership experiences mostly insane.

And that's how I learned leadership and sales from her. Reading does open my mind to the broadest, and maintain my imagination through the boundary/ layers that seems deep and impossible to reach, but can be broken!

Applying what you have read does important. Besides reading book, I keep reading Quora/ Medium's article that's extremely insightful. I apply several of them. For example parento principle, when you gave only 20% of your effort to achieve 80% of goals (or can be applied with anything I guess), breaking 10.000 Hours rules just like what I'm doing now (having shortcuts to achieve things!), 5 seconds rules to made you avoid procrastinate, and several Habits from "High Performance Habits" to maintain my clarity, energy, and necessity. I do what I could do to improve myself. And looking forward to it!

4. Result and Conclusion

 

Well, what's the result, raf?

I am not going to say it's been perfect, but, it really could be perfected. My old habit is fading away. Yups, called that Procrastinate and hard to focus habits should be faded asap. For the last 2.5 month, I have read countless articles (about 4 - 5 articles a day), finished 2 business course (one of them should take at least 12 hours to be finished), 1 datacamp course, and 3 books (The Four, Elon Musk, Merry Riana), otw to the 4th book, High Performance Habits!

For some people, it might be not-so-accomplished to be celebrated, right? But it's worth to be written, and once again, as a writer, I hope I could inspire others even more. Just like the first sentence. It's possible, it's possible to change yourself, it's possible to transform your habit and begin achieve things. It's possible to fade that bad habits, and try to live your life at its fullest. It's not perfect yet, and I believe it could be improved slowly by applying things I have learned during this Journey.

And that's the end of this article
--
PS.
I am not really celebrating tho, read one article, that celebrating small things were not that good, and might affect your way of life to achieve things.

--

Rafi is an ENFP person who seek every chance to develop his surrounding in professional ways. Slowly turning himself as a geek reader, spending his time at least 2 hour a day to read any article/ books with specific target.

Currently being Customer Analyst in elevenia, still counted as Fresh Graduate and still learning to be the best one. Interested in Leadership, Management, Economic, Big Data, Data Science, and Meteorology-geek stuff.

Like to read this one? Kindly please like, share, and recommend this article to help the author more ya. Looking forward your feedback every single day!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: