The Power of Broader Perspectives

01:05 rafi 4 Comments


"Just don't search for passion, create it instead!" - Anonymous

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever listed everything you have done through your life? Let say, if you're a student, most likely, you will study, active in organization, join the competition, and etc. If you're a worker like me, most likely you will work from 9 to 6, some will do extramiles, and go home at 7 or 8, some might commute from 8-9 AM, and did the same when you're going home. Some, will read books during the commute, some will play game, some will read an articles on Medium, some might just swipe-up their social media and stuff. If you are an entrepreneur, most likely you will do anything from the execution, operational, customer service, and monitor all of the touch-point and business process that happened in your businesses.

The list can go on .....

Mine might be similar with the worker one, with additional activities that should be long-time habit for my life. This article was inspired by one of my friend in College, Judith. She's currently being a Journalist, despite her background as scientist/ meteorologist/ analyst which is fine. She was slicing one moment "Why" she keep doing her work, and believe that her work -somehow- could help not only herself, but also the others. Which I found completely cool, and already have such a great impact for those who read her articles (at least, me).

As a journalist, I really admire her because she's that person who could manage "move" all the time. Like somehow at 1 PM, she will be on A, and at 2 PM on B, C, and even D. Yeah, this perspective about her has been shaped during my term on ITB, which she's one of "Kader Emas" or "Gold Candidate" in many perspective. She was a leader on Religious Organization, being Senator on the Student Association, and being Minister on Student Executive Board. This is the same person when you're walking with her, there MUST be someone who greet her, whether it's her colleagues or juniors from many organization. So yeah, you won't ask "Why Journalist?" if you already know her well.

In her post, she gave one study case why she's working really hard in here. Starting from having a conversation a breeder and he/she told her that there's a change in Minister Regulation/ Policy about Local breeders involvement in producing Milk won't be mandatory anymore. She start studying this case by herself (thanks to Student Congress), and publish it on her newspaper. Next, she continued the study, and involve more resource from the breeder and related officials about this regulation. She keeps studying about it comprehensively, she found out that it's not only about the Milk Industry, but another thing relate with farmers and breeders. Surprisingly, the regulation will facilitate importers easily. Her Economic Head Desk directly want her to ask the officials, and ...... apparently there's no officials answered her questions. 

Instead of waiting from Executor, she asked the legislator directly. Hamdallah it's answered and the legislator will call the regulator to discuss about it.

Next 2 days, she got a news from the related staff that the deputy commissioner (she interviewed) gave APPRECIATION to the regulators (Like, WTF?!). Of course this kind of drama would happen, and she will do her best to -not only monitor- but also inform the masses about what happened with this country. And YES, this is only small slices of why she keeps doing it. And I really appreciate it.

Perspective (http://www.authenticgrowth.com)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the point of this, Raf?
For me, I learned a lot from this story tho. It reminds me about my personal goals, by being "Useful" to the humanity. I used to expand and see the perspective much wider. After 3 months being Professionals, I learned that -actually- what I was doing is not only for me. It's not only about developing me personally and professionally. But IF you want to, you can see it broadly, that what you've been doing is something good.

Let's take an example where I was being Data/ Business Analyst on Elevenia. If I limit my perspective as "Me, being worker, that should be developed personally and professionally", then I only support me in that position. I would do this job only because I need money or something, and will only think about my personal development, right? Why bother thinking about the others where I could maximize my potential for me (?). This perspective might lead you to meet your "personal-human-centric" goals (which is fine), but won't help you develop further and bring the values to the company & society.

Now, let's switch the perspective from here. Every morning, I was pep-talking with myself in front of the mirror. I told myself what values I can bring by being this Customer Analyst. Since when I was on Elevenia, I was responsible to give Seller Analytics, I listed down things values I could bring and why it's important. I put myself, If I am giving the best effort, then I could help thousand of small-medium sellers selling their product here, could help improve their "confidence" in selling things online, and could help thousands of buyers as well to buy things online securely and confidently. If this happened, of course the company itself would get the benefit at the fullest, and me, of course can be developed personally and professionally since I am being the best of me everyday to achieve this goal.

Make sense, right? It's kind of throwing one stones and kill 2 birds at the same time. You may achieve the broader and bigger goal without forgetting your personal goals. You can give more valuable things to the community and your company -which will be beneficial for your future career growth-, but can be developed personally and professionally as well. Let's take a look in Judith's case, if only she didn't have this broad perspective (& might goals), she might not be like this, to give 100% of her time in this job to support all of the people, fairly. What else can she take? Helping the helpless community? Monitor the regulators? Indirectly support the economic growth locally? And of course, develop herself personally and professionally?

Count me In, dith!

Achievement (https://steamcommunity.com)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bring it All, Together


This concept, as far as I know, can be used in every condition and every activities you did. Even IF you are a student, professionals, entrepreneur, anything. 

If you are a student, you can try to re-define the whys & what kind of impacts you can give to the societies. Let's take an example, If I am Meteorology student (which I was), instead of focusing thyself to get perfect GPA, I may re-think and focus with value I could bring as Meteorologist. I will set my target to "Be able to provide inclusive, effective, and accurate weather forecast in Indonesia".

Now let's thinking, if I have this ambitious goal, what can be happened? Of course, I will give my best to learn Meteorology, especially Weather Forecast Modelling, Data Analytics, and Meteorology Dynamic as well Physics to understand the Meteorology as a whole. I will take "Information System" subject seriously, and might develop the related project with my current ambition. IF YOU, being like this. I believe, your perfect GPA would be a piece of cake, because you've already done your best to achieve this noble goals.

So, what do you think? Dare to dream big and broading your perspective? Believe me, it's damn worthy!

You Might Also Like

4 comments:

  1. Hai, thanks for the inspiration! This means a lot for me! I should set my goals bigger, and give the perspective much wider ya!

    Thank you thank you and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, that's why I keep writing despite it's low traffic loh #curhat haha. Hope it helps

      Delete